Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Week 8 Prompt Post: Practicing Knowledge


One basic skill that every nutritionist or dietitian must have is the ability to cook. Often times, professionals in this field are required to demonstrate how to prepare a healthy and balanced meal. Some personal consultants are even hired to grocery shop and cook for their patients. I have always enjoyed working in the kitchen and my culinary interests peaked about two years ago. Researching how to prepare traditional dishes in a healthier way led me to an exploration of all things food. I began tagging along with my mom to the supermarket and selecting fresh produce and specific ingredients. With all of the necessary tools, I started endeavoring in these new and complex recipes. While some attempts ended in tragedy (I have scars from the oven to prove it), the majority turned out to be a success. My passion for cooking grew so rapidly that at one point I considered attending culinary school instead of a conventional university. Family members and friends would beg me to cook for them, and I was more than happy to oblige their requests. Over the summer I was the hostess/waitress at a small café. My boss heard about my interest in food and allowed me to exercise these skills, which helped me learn a number of things. Entering college, I knew that I would have to temporarily give up this practice. The thought of eating cafeteria food frightened me because I was so used to consuming these delectable meals. To combat this challenge, my parents provided me with a mini-fridge, microwave, and an array of dishes. Although there are certainly limitations to what I can make, I am still able to prepare some decent meals within my room. Due to convenience and expenses, I eat in the cafeterias a lot, but if I want to enjoy something more flavorful I lean toward the microwave instead. Learning this hands-on skill is much different than a classroom setting because it is all about trial and error. You never know exactly how the food will turn out and you have to manually make measurement or time adjustments. It was much easier for me to learn this skill outside of school because not only was I enjoying it, I was able to control what was happening.
source:
Pizza, Hearth&Vine Cafe. Personal photograph by author. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment