Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Week 1 Prompt Post: What am I getting myself into?

Before I hop into the field of Nutrition, I figured I should learn a little bit about the specifics of it as a career. Therefore, I have comprised a list of questions that have left me pondering. After some vigorous digging in a textbook of choice, I was able to generate a few simple answers. To my dismay, it did not hold all of them. Based on lack of content, I was unable to locate salary wages, job outlook, and the main goals of most people within this profession. I turned to the Internet for this information only because I could not let my readers be unsatisfied by an insufficient exploration. 

Questions:
What kinds of jobs are available in this field?
  • Nutritionists/Dietitians
  • Food Service Manager
  • Food Science Researcher
  • Consultant
  • Educator
What type of setting do you work in?
  • Hospitals
  • Private Practice
  • Nursing Homes
  • Cafeterias
  • Clinics
Who are your clients? 
  • People with nutritional deficincies
  • Diabetics
  • People with eating disorders
  • Elderly
What type of degree/qualifications do you need?
  • Bachelor's Degree
  • State License/Certification 
What is the average salary?
  • $55,240 a year
What are the main goals of a Nutritionist?
  • Advocate and promote a healthy lifestyle
  • Guide patients toward accomplishing health-related goals
What exactly do people holding this occupation do?
  • Asses/counsel patients on health needs
  • Develop meal plans
  • Promote better nutrition
  • Research
  • Write progress reports
Is there an increasing job outlook?
  • Yes, around 21%
What are the average working hours?
  • Full Time (40 hours per week)
Do you need to participate in an internship?
  • Yes (usually unpaid)
Sources
  • Berdanier, Carolyn D, Johanna T. Dwyer, and David Heber. Handbook of Nutrition and Food. Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis, 2013. Web. 18 Jan 2014.
  • U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Dietitians and Nutritionists." Occupational Outlook Handbook. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 8 Jan. 2014. Web. 18 Jan. 2014.

1 comment:

  1. Emily,
    This post is very informational. Although I like how you were straight to the point and not wordy! I myself was looking to go into this field at one point in time and your questions and answers hit a lot of the aspects I looked up when I thought this was my future! I just have a few questions that maybe you have or have not thought of!

    1. Where do most jobs in this field exist? Are you better off living in a big city or not?

    2. What skills/characteristics other than knowing everything you need to know about nutrition should one in this profession hold?

    3. With this career are you most likely to live in one place all your life or could you potentially have to move every few years with possible promotions and such?

    Wonderful Post!

    ReplyDelete